soil improvement - breaking with tradition patience
the I went long ago times through the head ...
Traditional machining
ago my time was the (my) garden of pure fruit and vegetable garden. For a century, has been appointed and classically edited. The garden was dug up completely. For early sowing in the autumn. It was dug manure and the coarse floes during the winter were small and were broken by freeze and thaw. The other part of the garden, mostly for late sowing, was dug in the spring, some with crap harrowed and raked. Some plants have also received mineral fertilizer. So, in principle, agricultural bio-dynamic processing in miniature.
Without fertilizer is nothing
My one neighbor-serviced still true. He has good earnings. But that would not work well so if he does not regularly year after year made up of the various mineral fertilizers. The soil is only substrate.
crop rotation is not enough
There were always places in the garden, which were less profitable than others. Farmyard manure and chemical fertilizer have probably contributed only to the plants that supply was not bad over the years.
Then two years the garden was completely broke. High weed man in the entire garden. As I started to develop vegetable gardens, it was very expensive. I noticed very quickly that there are significant differences in the placements I, non-contiguous areas were. Everywhere I have the same badly shattered: compost at work, Stark Zehrer the following year with wood ash (*) fertilized, and the third year middle Zehrer weak Zehrer / legume or green manure. Then again from scratch. But I did not want to dig up every year all over again. I have only gegrubbert and chopped. I felt it clear that it takes a while to get through the compost to the soil slightly changing. There were still differences in yield between individual fields.
change has an impact
But then I noticed in a field that something in addition to the base not be true. The potatoes there were scabby, a year later, the carrot more than 50% mud (in the ground!). This has really annoyed me. The following year, I have not used this field. All weeds, which were incurred in the garden, I have stored there. Now and then I have pushed aside and there gegrubbert to the rising weeds not to grow further. The second year, still was a somewhat smaller become layer of mulch on weeds, but I needed no longer cultivating so often. In the third year I have put beans. They need not have deep loose soil and are on top of that nitrogen collector (legumes). All this has actually helped. I was able to grow potatoes without it were scabby. This finding did not surprise me really, but it changed my attitude.
It's mostly Sun Even if you read something, it's much more sustainable if it can even observe and experience. Since the remains are simply chopped and weeded weeds and lands no longer with the chickens or the compost. Surprisingly, the understand some people do not see the garden and perhaps even the "classic" management in the head.
mulching is not equal to mulch
... I've now also read somewhere. Some even make it quite subtle hair-splitting. But in principle they're right. Mulch For example, interprets it to cover the floor completely, to protect it from drying out too quickly and suppress weeds. The weeds or other plant remains simply loose on the floor is not allow full coverage of the soil. Some call to feed the soil. I prefer to wait until someone invents a nice word for it. I call it light mulching. And that really helps.
small experiment brings confirmation
That the success of me right there, shows this year, my little experiment. I have an old asparagus field, pure sand, emaciated completely split in two. On one half I have centimeter-thick Compost is applied and incorporated only very slightly. The cucumbers are grown there this year, found the class-evident. So many cucumbers I've never had. Even weeds are at least this year there almost not at all worked. But basically I've just filled up a new layer of soil. Among the old ground was still rock hard. I had noticed when I tried to put the different density risen cucumbers. In the compost layer, I have come with a finger very easily. Among them was very difficult, very tough as nails.
The second half of the field I'm so calm. I have gathered together some Selbstaussäer from other parts of the garden and planted colorful mess. Mangold, Dill, leaf lettuce, sunflower, marigold. In between, I have tomatoes, radishes and beets planted or sown. Then I covered the gaps easily with grass clippings. Again and again. And only very slightly. The rising weeds were removed and stored. The first grass cut, which I had hung up dried, and was very long. Over time, the newly stored clippings then disappeared quickly. Now and then I poured Nettle liquid manure. And the floor is actually quite easy - on the surface - a crumbly and not so hard. Except for the Swiss chard, has the trouble to seem all the plants get along quite well. I had a huge harvest, but I have the impression that what I have achieved with a thick layer of compost, to reach in a few years with a light mulch.
patience and break with tradition
Even if one course in different places, reads as good and useful light mulch, so it's been nice to been through. And if you notice small changes themselves, we also recognize that changes can not act fast if they are sustainable. The only "difficulty" is actually just to explain it to others. But that is probably often the case when it is broken with a tradition. Past experience is down (again) tradition, when the knowledge has spread among the crowd. I refer to one.
* Addendum
It is inevitable that the fertilizer can be incorporated with the wood ash and small pieces of charcoal with the soil. These were the years of less (probably through the winter erosion) and I also noticed that the small Holzkohlestückchen world glued to the floor a total of slightly moist appeared. This I did but rather the case registered on the edge, though I had then it immediately drawn further conclusions.
0 comments:
Post a Comment